[Feature Suggestion] UsrMove continued

Konstantin Ryabitsev icon at fedoraproject.org
Tue Oct 9 14:01:28 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 4:13 AM, tim.lauridsen at gmail.com
<tim.lauridsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> +1 to Richard, I really don't see the purpose, why does it matter that
> number of dirs in /.
> Lot of apps will break if you move /proc or /dev, and if you replace them
> with symlink in the next 10 years you still have the same number of dirs
> under /, you have even more because you have added some new ones.
> I can understand you want to merge dirs there have the same function /bin
> -> /usr/bin, but this has no benefits at all.

Symlinks also dramatically complicate SELinux policies, since you then
have to allow read_lnk_files in addition to plain filesystem access.
Allowing read_lnk_files is undesirable, as there is a number of
security vulnerabilities that make use of symbolic links, so this will
be a net negative to the security of the system.

Regards,
--
Konstantin Ryabitsev
LinuxFoundation.org