replacing rsyslogd in minimal with journald [was Re: systemd requires HTTP server and serves QR codes]

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Wed Oct 10 02:45:36 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-10-09 at 22:33 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 10:30:38PM -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > Oh come on, stop bashing unix, logrotate could certainly grow a size
> > checking policy if people felt the need, unix is not holding you back,
> > in fact you are building this stuff on a unix-like system.
>
> In fact, logrotate _has_ a size checking policy and has for years. Possibly
> always. The main drawback is that with nightly runs, a log which grows
> suddenly during the day may grow out of control.

Yeah I meant more of an online checker based on something like inotify
that would run the logrotate job ahead of time if needed. It's not
rocket science, but if it is not widespread it probably means that
either those in need use alternative log rotation tools, or people never
felt the urge to do it.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York