replacing rsyslogd in minimal with journald [was Re: systemd requires HTTP server and serves QR codes]

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Oct 10 18:32:40 UTC 2012

On Wed, 10.10.12 08:54, Frank Murphy (frankly3d at gmail.com) wrote:

> On 09/10/12 15:16, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>
> >journalctl -D <pathtothejournalfiles>
> >
> >Lennart
> >

> Can journalctl send the logs via logwatch?

Not sure I can parse this, but IIUC you are wondering whether logwatch
is compatible with the journal. Not to my knowledge, no. But adding this
should be fairly easy as the output of "journalctl" is a pixel-perfect
copy of the original format, so where it works on /var/log/messages it
should simply work on the output of journalctl and all should be good.

Note however that with the capabilities of the journal it might be
interesting to add journal support to logwatch that goes beyond mere
compatibility. For example, tests such as "look for messages which are
claimed to come from PID xyz but actually came from uvw" and suchlike
would be really interesting to have. That information is not available
in the /var/log/messages format however...

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.