replacing rsyslogd in minimal with journald [was Re: systemd requires HTTP server and serves QR codes]

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 10 19:01:55 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 02:44:53PM -0400, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> Well, hang on, Kay. My understanding was that we're trying to make
> syslog an optional install in Fedora 18 (or is it 19?). If that is the

The suggestion was to propose this as a feature for F19. I think there's
some additional basic functionality we really need in place before that
would be ready.

> case, then even if I require rsyslog for a package, that won't work
> unless rsyslog is started and running. So, sysadmin's experience
> changes:
> Was: Install logwatch.
> Becomes: Install logwatch. Make sure you install and enable rsyslog.
> I just want to make sure people are aware of the change.

Well, we've got: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/PackagePresets and
it seems like we could probably come up with a preset selection for
non-desktop system use. I'd say "server-presets", except it goes beyond
server, of course. But yeah, we'd need to make that easy -- a list of "now
you get to jump through these hoops because we've made things better!" won't
make anyone happy with us.

Additionally, it _would_ be cool for log monitoring and analysis tools to
gain journald support, so that users of those tools can take advantage of
all the features Lennart lists. If we could have some of those in place
along with the proposed feature, that would be a win.