anacanda: should we ignore the bios raid information on a disk when the raid is broken?

Joshua C. joshuacov at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 15 08:41:04 UTC 2012

2012/10/15 Hans de Goede <hdegoede at redhat.com>:
> Hi,
>

> On 10/15/2012 09:23 AM, Joshua C. wrote:
>>
>> I have a broken fake raid on my machine (intel p67 chipset with one of
>> the disks missing) and when trying to install F17 yesterday (with
>> up-to-date respin done with pungi) I was greeted with the following
>> message "disk sdXXX has bios raid information and..... blah..... is
>> part of a broken raid, ignoring sdXXX". After ignoring the message
>> later on I wasn't given the chance to use the spare disk.
>>
>> I thought of patching anaconda to ignore the bios-raid-information and
>> to allow me to use the disk as I single HDD but I was wondering if
>> there are any side effects out of this?
>

> Yes, the side effect of this is that if we wrongly detect an array as being
> broken and allow the user to use it, we will destroy the array, nuking any
> data on it. IOW ignoring this error is simply not an acceptable option.
>
> What you can do is remove the bios raid metadata from the disk by going
> into a rescue shell on the system and run  wipefs on the disk in question
>
> Regards,
>
> Hans

I don't want to remove the bios data because this is the only way to
rebild the raid when the next disk arrives. Currently I'm using the
disk under Linux/Windows without any problems (in AHCI mode). Wipping
the bios data will remove anything when later I build (re-build) the
raid with the intel orom...

Can I just install anaything on the second disk and then manually
adjust the fstab file to automount the disk from the broken raid? The
raid is for my home partition.

--joshua