modules, firmware, kernel size (was Re: systemd requires HTTP server and serves QR codes)

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 17 15:50:07 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 11:37:29AM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> What the hell did you drink today, Bill?  Basically what you're
> suggesting is that Fedora move to a kmod model for everything.  Which
> means you'd have to install all of them by default anyway or the kernel
> team would be swamped with bugs like "I installed Fedora and my random
> USB device doesn't work!"

The default desktop case would pull in everything, I think. Splitting it up
would be not just for fun but in order to target smaller cloud and virt
images. Because we can reasonably define the targets there, it doesn't need
to be completely all-out "kmod model for everything" approach at all.

> Seriously, no.  There are 3 kernel people.  There's no way we have time
> to sit around closing bugs with stuff like "Install kernel-module-foo".

Yeah; it is reasonable to say that we can't do this without more resources.