Anaconda is totally trashing the F18 schedule (was Re: f18: how to install into a LVM partitions (or RAID))

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Wed Oct 31 17:59:54 UTC 2012

On 10/31/2012 09:56 AM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> * Jesse Keating, Jeremy Katz, and others who helped shape the current policy
>    and theory of our release schedule felt that the 6 month release cycle was
>    fine but that certain features were going to take longer to develop.
>    Those would need to be developed and not enter into Fedora until they were
>    close enough that they could be completed during that cycle.
>    - No matter what we do to try and increase the development cycle within
>      a release, there's always going to be issues that take longer than the
>      release that we need to deal with.  Perhaps, we just need to be better
>      about making people follow this model.

I'm not entirely sure what I felt then, but I'm certainly open to a
longer release cycle.  In fact I'm very much in favor of one, one that
puts more time between "feature complete" and the actual alpha release.
  All too often we see features crash land right at the deadline, and
any software that has to integrate across a lot of pieces (like
anaconda) gets stuck trying to account for all these changes in a very
limited time frame, only to be hindered quickly by a freeze process.

I think we need to give developers more time for feature integration
after the feature freeze.

--
Help me fight child abuse: http://tinyurl.com/jlkcourage

- jlk