Anaconda is totally trashing the F18 schedule (was Re: f18: how to install into a LVM partitions (or RAID))

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Oct 31 19:58:51 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> On 10/31/2012 09:56 AM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > * Jesse Keating, Jeremy Katz, and others who helped shape the
> > current policy
> >    and theory of our release schedule felt that the 6 month release
> >    cycle was
> >    fine but that certain features were going to take longer to
> >    develop.
> >    Those would need to be developed and not enter into Fedora until
> >    they were
> >    close enough that they could be completed during that cycle.
> >    - No matter what we do to try and increase the development cycle
> >    within
> >      a release, there's always going to be issues that take longer
> >      than the
> >      release that we need to deal with.  Perhaps, we just need to
> >      be better
> >      about making people follow this model.
>
> I'm not entirely sure what I felt then, but I'm certainly open to a
> longer release cycle.  In fact I'm very much in favor of one, one
> that
> puts more time between "feature complete" and the actual alpha
> release.
>   All too often we see features crash land right at the deadline, and
> any software that has to integrate across a lot of pieces (like
> anaconda) gets stuck trying to account for all these changes in a
> very
> limited time frame, only to be hindered quickly by a freeze process.

This makes sense, to have a period to integrate bits before  Alpha is
released - and from two options - cutting time for a new feature
development (and thus forcing us to the similar position of rushing
features) or prolong time between feature complete and alpha freeze,
it makes sense. On the other hand I'd like to see a little bit shorter
that time between Alpha and Final. As currently I'd say the proportion
of time spent on development and time spent on release (and not only
testing) seem quite inadequate... But of course, QA could no agree :)

I'm going to create a F19 schedule draft this week, any input would
be welcomed!

Jaroslav