still UsrMove problems and wrong PATH in openssh

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 21:35:15 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 06:33:10PM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 31.10.2012 17:45, schrieb Panu Matilainen:
> > On 10/31/2012 11:47 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> >> it is REALLY bad make UsrMove and HRADCODE /bin:/sbin
> >> in PATH of openssh, this results in packages built
> >> with "rpmbuild" having Requires: /bin/perl as example
> >>
> >> in my opinion "rpmbuild" should know about the change
> >> and fix implicit Requires: /bin and Requires: /sbin
> >
> > But they're not implicit. As I've said in the bug(s) already, rpm doesn't invent paths, it generates dependencies
> > based on the file contents: if a script has #!/bin/perl through whatever means (ie hardcoded or generated),
> > /bin/perl is what you get as a dependency
>
> this is WRONG behavior

This does not necessarily follow from:

> any upstream-script the next years will use #!/bin/perl and
> it would be idiotic to write patches for every application
> only becasue fdora decided to make UsrMove
>
> UsrMove is a distribution-feature
> and so the distribution has to care that basic parts
> of the ditsribution do the rights things CENTRALIZED

this.

UsrMove was a Fedora specific distribution change.  As such, patching of
applications to use /usr/bin/perl instead of /bin/perl is a distribution
change that we should be making as well.

If the people affected by these local patches feel that the cost they have to
bear for implementing UsrMove is too much, perhaps they should propose an
F19 feature to "Move programs and libraries to a more traditional hierarchy"
Fedora has been known to implement things that were later reverted.

-Toshio