still UsrMove problems and wrong PATH in openssh

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Oct 31 23:31:43 UTC 2012

Once upon a time, Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> said:
> Well, /bin/perl would immediately fail on Debian or Ubuntu, so it seems
> pretty unlikely that any upstream is doing it. There are reasons why
> using env can be a bad idea and I don't think it's universal, but
> /bin/perl is certainly wrong.

/usr/bin/perl is pretty much _the_ path for perl (at least on Unix-like
systems that recognize the shebang line).  Even if you install it
somewhere else, it is highly recommended to create a symlink (and IIRC
"make install" does so unless you override it, or at least used to).

Especially for distribution-installed files, running env is not a good
idea.  In addition to the overhead of execing another binary and
searching $PATH, you can easily get a different version of the
interpreter that the script is not tested (or even compatible) with when
users download source and "make install" to /usr/local/bin.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>