Rawhide boot problems

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Fri Sep 7 16:30:10 UTC 2012

On Wed, 29.08.12 08:44, Jim Meyering (jim at meyering.net) wrote:

> Jerry James wrote:
> > I've got two Rawhide VMs, one x86_64, one i686, both otherwise
> > identical.  I last booted them yesterday and did a yum repo-sync.
> > Today, neither of them will boot.
> >
> > First, systemd complained about being unable to find
> > systemd-journal-flush.service.  Sure enough, it wasn't in the
> > initramfs.  So I added
> > "$systemdsystemunitdir/systemd-journal-flush.service" to
> > /usr/lib/dracut/modules.d/98systemd/module-setup.sh, and regenerated
> > the initramfs.  Now the boot gets past that point, but starts doing
> > this over and over, apparently forever, even in emergency mode:
>
> Thank you for posting about this, and to everyone who has been
> working on http://bugzilla.redhat.com/847418.  I hit the same bug
> when my rawhide VM updated to the latest kernel, and you've saved
> me the trouble of investigating.  For now, I get by using the
> preceding kernel.

So this happened because somebody updated the Rawhide package, which
disabled package inheritance from F18. I have now untagged the package
in Rawhide again, and added a notice to the .spec file so that people
don't go and blindly update the package in Rawhide, but instead just let
inheritance between F18 and Rawhide do its work.

Honestly, I think Fedora got the branches all backwards. Instead of
carrying around master all the time we should just have the version
branches and whenever somebody needs a new version branch he should just
branch of the most recent one. Right now "master" is for many packages
mostly dead territory between the time where a version got forked off
(but is not yet released) and the time where people actually start
working on the next distribution version.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.