Rawhide boot problems

Kalev Lember kalevlember at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 22:03:45 UTC 2012

On 09/10/2012 11:44 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 23:27:43 +0200,
>   Kalev Lember <kalevlember at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Can't we just change the branching to a later date?
>
> Branching later results in rawhide being frozen during the alpha freeze
> which breaks things for people doing development.

It wouldn't necessarily mean that rawhide has to be completely frozen.
We could still have separate stable and updates-testing repos, so that
updates-testing can continue unfrozen during the Alpha and Beta freezes.

The exact same setup as F18 currently has, with Bodhi and separate f18
and f18-updates-testing would still be possible. Just no split between
rawhide and f18.

> (Note that by alpha people really should be stablizing things and we
> really don't want disruptive development going on in branched at that
> time.)

The hard reality is that branched and rawhide are getting pretty much
the same set of packages currently. It's a very nice view to let
development go ahead in rawhide, and to stabilize branched. But we only
have so many developers and everyone is focusing on branched, leaving
rawhide broken.

--
Kalev