Bundled/embedded data in a package

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Sep 17 08:59:13 UTC 2012

Le Sam 15 septembre 2012 20:53, Rex Dieter a écrit :
> Ben Rosser wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Nicolas Mailhot <
>> nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Adobe CMAP is used by lots of font, ps and pdf related apps and IIRC
>>> packaging it is currently on the wishlist.
>>>
>>> You should unbundle it and create a separate package.
>>>
>>> I don't think CMAP has security implications, but projects that bundle
>>> old versions of the Adobe datafiles will behave in non-optimal ways
>>> when
>>> they hit a font/text combination that requires a mapping Adobe
>>> introduced
>>> in a later version.
>>>

>> That sounds like a good idea.
>>
>> How should it work though? I can grab all the .tar.z files from
>> http://sourceforge.net/adobe/cmap/home/Home/, extract them, and throw
>> them
>> somewhere into /usr/share (/usr/share/cmap/)... then packages can grab
>> up-to-date copies of the cmap resources from there?
>
> that content should (loosely at least) match the content within the
> poppler-
> data package.

Yes, poppler is clearly one of the things that embedded cmap and needs
unbundling (I *think* at least fontforge does the same, it's been a long
time since I checked, but cmap embedding was widespread, and the legal
aspects dubious before Adobe released a separate cmap project after some
Debian prodding IIRC)

--
Nicolas Mailhot