Why is not enabled TapButton of touchpad on Fedora by default?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Sep 18 18:57:12 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-09-18 at 08:35 -0400, John.Florian at dart.biz wrote:
> > From: Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com>
> >
> > Oh, I should also note that, IIRC, the intent is that the driver
> should
> > detect if there are no physical buttons and enable tap-to-click in
> this
> > case. So touchpads which have no buttons and are only supposed to
> work
> > with tap-to-click should be OK.
>
> Where does my notebook's touchpad fall in this continuum?  At the
> bottom corners of the touch-sensitive area are two "buttons" which
> click with tactile feedback, but yet are still part of the
> touch-sensitive surface.  In other words, the bottom corners can
> actually be deformed/depressed.  FWIW, I enabled tap-to-click -- did I
> just answer my own question? -- simply because my wife and I both
> found the mouse to be moving off target too often when tried using
> these "buttons".

As far as evdev is concerned those are almost certainly just perfectly
normal buttons, i.e., they send a 'button press' event. The fact that
they also function as part of the touch-sensitive surface is probably
irrelevant. So evdev would see your touchpad as one with buttons, and
wouldn't enable tap-to-click.

(I hereby include my permanent disclaimer that I'm just the idiot
monkey, and any time someone who's not an idiot monkey comes along and
contradicts me, you can confidently assume I'm wrong...so if ajax or
whot or someone shows up and says I'm wrong, then I damn well am.)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey