[F18][ATI Rage XL] Problems with install on ATI Rage XP video driver

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Apr 3 18:48:35 UTC 2013

On 03/04/13 11:16 AM, Aaron Gray wrote:
> I am getting 1/4 of a screens worth of the Anaconda and runtime display
> on F18. It worked alright on F14 and F16. It seems to be to do with the
> HP DL 140 G3's ATI Rage XL video controller.
> The main install option gives garbage graphics and the basic graphics
> install option give 1/4 or less of the display on the screen.
> I have tried with multiple monitors but get the same results.
> Has X.org depreciated the ATI Rage XL video driver ?
> Are there any options on startup and on GRUB that may help me ?

Try 'Basic Graphics Mode' (which will give you the VESA driver). And
please do realize your graphics adapter is well over a decade old. ATI
stopped posting official Windows drivers for it in 2002:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/legacy-xp.aspx . There are
limits to how long the F/OSS stack devs are able to work on extremely
old hardware, they don't have infinite resources...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey