Smock successor?

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Thu Apr 4 19:18:28 UTC 2013

On Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 12:34:51PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Apr 2013 18:30:02 +0200
> Till Maas <opensource at till.name> wrote:

> > Is it intended to be feature complete? Smock looks more like a simple
> > build system, because it supports to build multiple archs/distros at
> > once and uses deterministic repositories and mockchain only supports a
> > subset of it.
> >

> what does 'deterministic repositories' mean?

smock uses ~/public_html/smock/$DISTRO/$ARCH by default and mockchain
some random temp dir.

> As to multiple archs/distros at once:
>
> It's a for loop, right?

Actually two loops, one for the arch and one for the distro.

> If you want to add that to mockchain I don't really see a big problem -
> just felt unnecessary since it can be done with more flexibility at the
> shell and since mock chroots are not strictly distro+arch but can be a
> myriad of things.

Yes, mockchain is more flexible but smock is more user friendly for it's
use case, e.g. the command line is much simpler for this use case. Even
if mock chroot are not distro+arch, smock makes a useful assumption/has
assumes a useful convention for mock config files.

Regards
Till