Keeping old versions of packages

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 09:10:26 UTC 2013

Using PackageKit and yum on the command line is often painful as we
have to always download metadata unless it's less than a few hours
old. Being able to update the metadata once a week would be awesome
(with the possible exception of security updates) so that we could
schedule the 20Mb+ metadata update when the user is idle rather than
waiting for updates.

I'm wondering what the interest would be in keeping packages
referenced in metadata on the mirrors for say a month? We'd probably
need a separate fedora-security repo too that's designed to be kept
small enough so that metadata checks every day would be not costly in
terms of bandwidth and time.

If anyone is interested in doing this, you'd be awesome. Thanks.

Richard