Keeping old versions of packages

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Apr 9 09:21:54 UTC 2013

Am 09.04.2013 11:10, schrieb Richard Hughes:
> Using PackageKit and yum on the command line is often painful as we
> have to always download metadata unless it's less than a few hours
> old. Being able to update the metadata once a week would be awesome
> (with the possible exception of security updates) so that we could
> schedule the 20Mb+ metadata update when the user is idle rather than
> waiting for updates

[root at rh:~]$ cat /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo
[fedora]
name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch
failovermethod=priority
#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/$releasever/Everything/$basearch/os/
mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-$releasever&arch=$basearch
enabled=1
metadata_expire=7d

> I'm wondering what the interest would be in keeping packages
> referenced in metadata on the mirrors for say a month? We'd probably
> need a separate fedora-security repo too that's designed to be kept
> small enough so that metadata checks every day would be not costly in
> terms of bandwidth and time

this does not work for many reasons and having more repos would
make things worser with low bandwidth because you have to load
more metadata at all and if i want search for updates i use
"yum clean metadata && yum upgrade" which is a real pain on
slow bandwith

the reason is that the metadata getting larger and larger because
all of the shiny ideas what additional ones would be nice while
the developers are on LAN or at least very fast LAN networks