Another UEFI testing request

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Apr 16 21:16:08 UTC 2013

On 16/04/13 09:27 AM, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Apr 2013, Adam Williamson wrote:
>> Hi folks - thanks for helping out with the last UEFI testing request,
>> it was very helpful. If we could impose again, it would be really
>> helpful if anyone with a UEFI-capable system could try a UEFI native
>> install of Alpha RC3:
>>
>> https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/19-Alpha-RC3/
>>
>> and report your results. We are hopeful that the major bugs that
>> affected previous builds are resolved, and many or most UEFI installs
>> should succeed at this point. If you try, please report whether you
>> got a successful installation, and if not, what problem you ran into.
>> Bug reports for problems are of course welcome. Thanks!
> RC3 is even worse than TC6 was on Asus U38N (AMD A8-4555). Where I was
> able to get to a graphical install with TC6 by appending 'nomodeset
> video=1920x1080-32" to the kernel command line (and removing 'quiet'),
> in RC3 even that doesn't help. While booting, at Xorg start switch to
> Xorg driver causes whole screen to be black and never come to a working
> state.
>
> I've tried several distributions, all fail the same way with KMS. F18
> works with nomodeset but is very slow. openSUSE 12.3 works with
> nomodeset and seems to be generally faster, OpenGL is accelerated.
>
> When TC6 starts to graphic mode and gives first Anaconda screen, it
> shows an error message box where the only button I could press is
> 'Quit':
> http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-A6BJjSaCLqQ/UW17Bl2RpoI/AAAAAAAAA_g/pqW9SAWqxLo/s1024/16.04.13+-+1

As noted on your bug report, your issue looks to be to do with the
graphics handling on your particular system, nothing to do with the
wider UEFI issues we're dealing with. Obviously a problem for you, but
it doesn't have wider implications for the Alpha release, I don't think.
Thanks for testing!

The error you hit in anaconda in TC6 is something else, but we cannot
possibly know anything about it from that screenshot: the dialog there
is the generic 'something went wrong in anaconda' dialog. We would need
you to hit 'Report Bug' and go through the process to report a bug to
bugzilla.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey