Schedule for Wednesday's FESCo Meeting (2013-08-14)

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Aug 15 20:20:26 UTC 2013

Am 15.08.2013 22:12, schrieb Jóhann B. Guðmundsson:
> On 08/15/2013 03:47 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>> On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 15:36:53 -0400
>> "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Interesting since they did not do that when I joined QA what 5 or 6
>>> years ago so again can you refer me to that discussion.
>> It's always been a test case/critera that I remember...
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Meetings/20070117#Fedora_7
>>
>> Shows upgrade test cases were there in Fedora 7 and one of the things QA
>> was testing and ensuring.
>
> We tested for it to a limited extent ( via yum ) but we never officially supported it.
>
> We always stayed away from opening that pandora box and it was not until we found out that someone had stamped
> upgrades to be "officially" supported that we actually properly defined what should be tested, added the criteria
> for it and made it release blocking

honestly: if dist-upgrade swould not work *nobody* would use Fedora for anything relevant
Fedora would be *completly* meaningless from this moment on

why?

because nobody has the time and effort to install from scratch twice a year
if he does more with his computer than click on the icons of the default
screen after login

this is not only the point for Fedora

*any* relevant software which would only work a few months would become meaningsless
expect for people which are bored and play around just for fun with no goal