Wider feedback requested on two changes to our base/core defaults

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 11:09:51 UTC 2013

On 08/22/2013 11:03 AM, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-08-22 at 10:39 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> On 08/22/2013 09:10 AM, Ondrej Vasik wrote:
>>> On Wed, 2013-08-21 at 18:45 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> I perfectly understand the reasons for the change and I think we should
>>> definitely change it at least on the login screen (I like the one
>>> additional line idea from Simo). In the terminal label, full hostname
>>> might make sense as well. But I don't like the idea for the command line
>>> PS1 change. Even if I don't have too long FQDN, it will extend my basic
>>> prompt from 23 to 38 (almost half of 80 chars) on 1 system I use most
>>> and to 20 to 43 on another one. This is imho too much (so if the final
>>> decision would be to change \h to \H, I'm going to change the default
>>> PS1 back on my machine anyway).
>>> Having hostname as separate line will make cut&paste of command sequence
>>> from terminal harder to read. I know that many users modify the basic
>>> PS1 anyway, but IMHO nothing blocks you from having modified PS1 in
>>> ~/.bashrc (or directly in /etc/skel/).
>> I think defaulting to long hostname is better and users can always
>> override this to the short one encase they have to long hostnames.
> For the general use-case, I think that a long hostname at the prompt is
> overkill.  I have no problem with the full hostname always being shown
> at the login screen, but does every computer on my network really need
> to waste the space to show an extra 15-20 characters every time the
> prompt comes up?

You would just overwrite in in your own .bashrc if you have long
hostname and they get in your way.

Long hostnames are far more practical for administrators to use then
short hostnames have ever been.

We seriously should be trying to avoid causing unnecessary confusion to
administrator by using short hostnames by default and if you are on a
large network you end up with the exact same problem as I mentioned earlier,

JBG