Wider feedback requested on two changes to our base/core defaults

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at lesbg.com
Thu Aug 22 11:35:48 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-08-22 at 11:09 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
<snip>
> You would just overwrite in in your own .bashrc if you have long
> hostname and they get in your way.

Yes, the same applies in the opposite direction.

> Long hostnames are far more practical for administrators to use then
> short hostnames have ever been.

I disagree.  As a system administrator of a small network (around 100
Fedora desktops, all on the same domain name), I'm quite happy with
short hostnames.

> We seriously should be trying to avoid causing unnecessary confusion to
> administrator by using short hostnames by default and if you are on a
> large network you end up with the exact same problem as I mentioned earlier,

And I think you've hit the problem right on the head right here.  *If*
you're on a large network with more than one domain name, then long
hostnames make sense.  But if *not*, they just waste space.

If I understand you right, you're arguing that large networks are a big
enough part of our target audience that long hostnames should be the
default.

I'm arguing that we should give long hostnames to spins/groups that
target large networks (i.e. if you install the "Cloud Infrastructure"
group, you get long hostnames by default), but leave the default for
most spins as short hostnames.

Jonathan