F21 schedule: what would you do with more time?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Aug 23 09:32:04 UTC 2013

On 08/23/2013 10:39 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:

>     * a unified koji/bodhi/bugzilla Web-GUI
>

> You think BZ is slow now?
What do you mean by "now" ... now as in comparison to yesterday, or in
general.

In general, my issues with bugzilla basically are two:

- It's UI is clumsy to use for Fedora - filing or searching bugs
requires a lot of user interaction, some of which are not easy to
accomplish.

I meanwhile have begun to favor searching BZ for some classes of BZs
through the pkgdb (https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/packages),
because its UI seems easier to use.

- The turnaround times, esp, during searches leaves much to be desired
on my side. I have no idea about the cause, whether my gradually aging
machine has become too slow for bugzilla, whether I am having a bad
network connection to BZ at RH, whether my firefox/F19 is having problems
or if bugzilla is having performance problems.

All I can say, my subjective experience with bugzilla often is "jerky
seconds, but sometimes also in the order of several tenths of seconds,
in rare cases in the order of several minutes.

I meanwhile am leaning to enter and search BZ throuhg
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/packages

>     * much longer build.log holding time for FTBFS.
>

> I think this comes down to the amount of storage it takes and the amount
> we have available.
Is that really that much? I am not asking for keeping "all of a failed
built" forever. I am only asking to keep the last failed builts, or at
least the log files of them.

When it comes to estimating whether somebody might be able to help out,
they are a valuable resoure. At least I stop looking into FTBFSes, when
noticing the class of failure probably appears not to be in my domain of
knowledge.

>     - better mirroring: I am having the impression mirrormanager doesn't
>     work well at all. E.g. this morning, yum sent me around the globe
>     for rawhide and failed in the end, seemingly because all fast
>     mirrors seem to be busy loading f20.
>

> TBF I don't believe this is anything to do with mirror manager at all,
> the fact is a lot of mirrors just don't hold rawhide or don't update it
> daily so they're at times out of date.

Well, I am pretty sure the metalink files as being provided by
dl.fedoraproject.org occasionally point me to mirrors which were
out-of-sync.
These incidents sometimes seem to be temporary, but I've also observed
cases where mirror manager pointed me to mirrors which seem to have been
busy syncing.

This not only happens for rawhide and not only during branching, but
occasionally also happens with fedora-updates.

Ralf