Bundled Flash

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 23:40:55 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 2:28 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> And, T.C., we probably need the Web Assets policy to set some
> rules/guidelines on how best to achieve unbundling: should we always try
> to patch the upstream to find the 'official' location of the shared
> resource on Fedora? Should we always do it with symlinks or aliases
> where possible? Should we allow either approach depending on
> circumstances?
>
> I'd like to unbundle tinymce from roundcubemail and moodle, but it's
> probably best to decide 'best practice' first then do it in line with
> that.

Definitely "either approach depending on circumstances".  I specifically didn't
define a "best practice" because I didn't think there was going to be one.

In some cases there might be a global config file that lets you point the path
to the Fedora-y location, so it's easier to patch that one file than to mess
around with the directory->symlink madness.  In other cases it's hardcoded in
nine million places all over the codebase, so the symlink approach starts to
look much nicer.  :-)

That's also the reason why a global httpd path is coming (unfortunately not till
Fedora 21 now), because in some instances a server path is easier to config than
a filesystem path.

Basically, do whatever makes you least likely to pull all your hair out in the
process.  :-)

Sooner or later there's going to be a "best practices"  (emphasis on the plural)
document that describes all these techniques nicely, but I wasn't expecting
people to jump into unbundling with both feet quite so quickly.  ;-)

-T.C.