Self Introduction and koan de-orphaning

Stephen Herr sherr at redhat.com
Mon Dec 16 19:22:16 UTC 2013

On 12/13/2013 03:19 PM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> On 12/13/2013 12:49 PM, Stephen Herr wrote:
>> Hi everyone, I'm Stephen Herr (sherr).
>>
>> I noticed that the koan package is orphaned in Fedora and that it has
>> one or
>> two fairly important bugs. I'm a developer on the Satellite / Spacewalk
>> projects and I've been packaging / maintaining koan for over a year
>> with them,
>> so I figured I could contribute back to the OS I've used for so long by
>> picking them up. Looking forward to contributing to Fedora's greatness!
>>
>> -Stephen
>
> I guess I don't quite understand - koan is a sub-package of cobbler.
> Is it getting split back out?  Or are you going to be helping to
> maintain the koan part of cobbler?

I was operating under a misunderstanding. Bugzilla is currently marking
koan bugs as owned by the orphan owner. You are correct that koan was
merged into cobbler. I thought that since the bugs were marked as owned
by the orphan owner and koan is marked as orphaned in the package
database that somehow the koan rpm was orphaned even though the cobbler
package is not (usage of "rpm" and "package" very intentional).

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&classification=Fedora&component=koan&list_id=2014071&product=Fedora&query_format=advanced

I think what needs to happen is that the cobbler package maintainer
needs to be marked as the default bug owner for koan bugs in bugzilla,
and any existing koan bugs be re-assigned. Anyone know who I have to
talk to about doing that?

-Stephen