Self Introduction and koan de-orphaning

Stephen Herr sherr at redhat.com
Tue Dec 17 14:55:07 UTC 2013

On 12/16/2013 03:48 PM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> On 12/16/2013 12:22 PM, Stephen Herr wrote:

>>> I guess I don't quite understand - koan is a sub-package of cobbler.
>>> Is it
>>> getting split back out?  Or are you going to be helping to maintain
>>> the koan
>>> part of cobbler?
>>>

>> I was operating under a misunderstanding. Bugzilla is currently
>> marking koan
>> bugs as owned by the orphan owner. You are correct that koan was
>> merged into
>> cobbler. I thought that since the bugs were marked as owned by the
>> orphan
>> owner and koan is marked as orphaned in the package database that
>> somehow the
>> koan rpm was orphaned even though the cobbler package is not (usage
>> of "rpm"
>> and "package" very intentional).
>>
>> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&classification=Fedora&component=koan&list_id=2014071&product=Fedora&query_format=advanced
>>

>> I think what needs to happen is that the cobbler package maintainer
>> needs to
>> be marked as the default bug owner for koan bugs in bugzilla, and any
>> existing
>> koan bugs be re-assigned. Anyone know who I have to talk to about
>> doing that?
>>
>> -Stephen
>
> I've reset the koan bugs to be cobbler bugs:
>
> bugzilla modify -c cobbler --reset-assignee --comment='koan is a
> sub-package of cobbler' 963962 977070 1021047 824476 868050 788890
> 540998
>
> I believe Dennis Gilmore is our bugzilla person - perhaps it would be
> possible to remove the koan component at this point.  Not sure.

I wish you hadn't, I don't think that's the correct thing to do. Koan is
a distinct rpm from cobbler and it's entirely reasonable to have koan
installed on a system and not have cobbler installed. There needs to be
a bugzilla component for it so that people can report bugs, it just
needs to have its default-assignee be the cobbler package maintainer. It
is not reasonable to expect people to know what package happens to build
the koan rpm in order to report bugs. The bugs are with koan, not with
cobbler, and they should remain marked as such.

-Stephen