ConsoleKit and esound retirement

Jon Ciesla limburgher at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 18:38:56 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 12:34 PM, Lennart Poettering
<mzerqung at 0pointer.de>wrote:

> Heya,
>
> since a while now logind has replaced CK in Fedora. I'd like to retire
> it entirely from the distribution now.
>
> Most deps on CK are gone. Holdouts are "cdm", "lightdm", "lxsession",
> "lxdm".
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_remove_a_package_at_end_of_life
>
> This page doesn't say anything about retiring packages other still
> depend on...
>
> I am tempted to just retire CK ignoring the remaining dependencies, in
> the hope this will put the pressure on the folks involved to update
> their stuff...
>
> Getting rid of CK in those packages is dead simple BTW. Just disable it
> in the packages, but make sure pam_systemd is in the PAM stack for your
> greeter tool. It's basically about removing code, not about adding
> new code -- adding new code is only necessary if you want to improve
> your DM to handle multi-seat setups, too (which is a new feature of
> logind, not available in CK[1]). For details, see:
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/writing-display-managers
>
> I'd also like to retire "esound" finally. Currently, adplay, ayttm,
> dopewars, e16, gnome-libs, gnubg, lxdream, moon-buggy, spacechart,
> xarchon, xmms-esd still use it. esd of course has been deprecated and
> dead since many years, the packages which still use it really should
> wake up one day. So here, too, I'd just like to retire the package...
>
> Alternatively, somebody else can take these over, but honstely I'd
> rather see them removed than continue to bitrot in our repository...

So to clarify, you're not actually retiring anything currently, just
expressing to the community that you'd like to and that we should work
toward making that possible?

If so, do you have any guidelines on getting rid of esound requirements?

-J

> Lennart
>
> Footnotes:
>
> [1] If you are interested in adding proper multi-seat support to the DM
>     of your choice, then we might be able to supply you with a free set of
>     multi-seat hardware so that you can actually make it work. Ping me.
>
> --
> Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.
> --

http://cecinestpasunefromage.wordpress.com/