ConsoleKit and esound retirement

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Feb 14 04:09:58 UTC 2013

On Thu, 14.02.13 04:02, Kevin Kofler (kevin.kofler at chello.at) wrote:

> > (and as mentioned, exorcising CK from packages is rather simple usually,
> > as in most cases you will just delete code, not add new code).
>
> I don't think that's true. As far as I know, LightDM relies on ConsoleKit
> for some essential functionality, and upstream has zero interest in systemd
> given that they're Ubuntu.

Well, subscribing to systemd-devel for a while and asking a number of
questions (which the lightdm upstream did) is hardly "zero interest".

> So there is one person at Fedora / Red Hat who is trying to port it
> to systemd all alone, he's not done yet. I don't know what the state
> of the other affected packages is, but I assume there's also more to
> do than just disabling ConsoleKit support or it would have been
> already done (as we did for KDM long ago). For example, if a desktop
> (or even a display manager, like LightDM) wants to use ConsoleKit for
> shutdown/restart or, worse (in terms of porting effort), user
> switching, this all has to be ported to systemd, not just disabled.
>
> I agree that ConsoleKit needs to go away, but FIRST all packages using it
> must be ported away from it, THEN it can be retired.

Well, that's a pity, but I guess the burden for this really should be
carried by the lightdm folks then. So, lightdm folks, if you want to
keep CK around, then you need to step up, and take it over.

If I hear nothing but "oh, oh, i think, oh, i think", then I will retire
it next week.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.