ConsoleKit and esound retirement

Dan Mashal dan.mashal at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 11:26:44 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 8:09 PM, Lennart Poettering
<mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 14.02.13 04:02, Kevin Kofler (kevin.kofler at chello.at) wrote:
>
>> > (and as mentioned, exorcising CK from packages is rather simple usually,
>> > as in most cases you will just delete code, not add new code).
>>
>> I don't think that's true. As far as I know, LightDM relies on ConsoleKit
>> for some essential functionality, and upstream has zero interest in systemd
>> given that they're Ubuntu.
>
> Well, subscribing to systemd-devel for a while and asking a number of
> questions (which the lightdm upstream did) is hardly "zero interest".
>
>> So there is one person at Fedora / Red Hat who is trying to port it
>> to systemd all alone, he's not done yet. I don't know what the state
>> of the other affected packages is, but I assume there's also more to
>> do than just disabling ConsoleKit support or it would have been
>> already done (as we did for KDM long ago). For example, if a desktop
>> (or even a display manager, like LightDM) wants to use ConsoleKit for
>> shutdown/restart or, worse (in terms of porting effort), user
>> switching, this all has to be ported to systemd, not just disabled.
>>
>> I agree that ConsoleKit needs to go away, but FIRST all packages using it
>> must be ported away from it, THEN it can be retired.
>
> Well, that's a pity, but I guess the burden for this really should be
> carried by the lightdm folks then. So, lightdm folks, if you want to
> keep CK around, then you need to step up, and take it over.
>
> If I hear nothing but "oh, oh, i think, oh, i think", then I will retire
> it next week.
>
> Lennart
>
> --
> Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.
> --

Lennart,

Not knowing too much about CK itself but out of concern for anyone
that uses CK (including myself) I will be happy to take over
ConsoleKit as the package maintainer for F19 if it means keeping it in
for 1 more release to maintain compatibility. F19 will be branched
shortly and we will have F20 rawhide shortly which we can completely
retire ConsoleKit with plenty of notice to package maintainers and
upstream developers.

If all goes well we might even be able to completely retire it in 19.

What you are saying is true. There is interest from LightDM folks to
support systemd.  However, as you know we move very fast here.

I will look at switching MATE Desktop to KDM or MDM if necessary
(which I kind of wanted to do from the start, not the hugest fan of
LightDM as a user personally).

I have already done work on looking in to packaging MDM (formerly
known as mate-display-manager). MDM is maintained by the folks at
Linux Mint and is a fork of GDM 2.3 (surprise!).

https://github.com/linuxmint/mdm

Thanks,
Dan