Proposed F19 Feature: DualstackNetworking - proper dual stack IPv4 and IPv6 networking

Pavel Simerda psimerda at redhat.com
Thu Jan 3 16:26:49 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Adam Williamson" <awilliam at redhat.com>
>
> On Wed, 2013-01-02 at 21:06 +0100, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 7:59 PM, Jaroslav Reznik
> > <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:
> > > = Features/DualstackNetworking =
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/DualstackNetworking
> >
> > (Sending to the list instead of using the wiki talk page to
> > hopefully
> > gather more information from networking experts.  The recent-ish
> > bugzilla activity in this space does suggest that this is a good
> > topic
> > to revisit in detail, thanks for taking the effort on.)
> >
> > 1. So what is the _precise_ scope of the ''proposed feature''?  For
>
> Just to second this emotion: I'm very much on the IPv6 train in
> general,
> but it would be very nice if any changes to very sensitive distro
> components - glibc, NetworkManager, stuff like that - could be
> decided
> and nailed down *quickly*. I don't mind this being a sort of
> 'aspirational' feature in general, as it seems to be, but for core
> stuff
> - critpath - it would be very good to have a clearly defined scope
> well
> before we start cutting F19 builds.

So far I don't intend any modifications to NetworkManager in scope of this feature, except maybe address configuration format which has already been done.

I am working on thorough modifications to glibc's getaddrinfo, though. It unfortunately proved to fail in many ways. This is the main priority of the feature, followed by utility libraries (likeglib), and client and server applications.

Any help with clarification appreciated.

Cheers,

Pavel