Proposed F19 Feature: Checkpoint/Restore

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 20:37:46 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 2:35 PM, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:
> To offer the checkpoint/restore functionality the package crtools has been
> imported into Fedora and changes are still necessary to the kernel RPM.

The CRIU page doesn't say you need CONFIG_NAMESPACES enabled to use CRIU.
Also, there is nothing in the kernel Kconfig dependencies that would
select or require that set to turn on CONFIG_CHECKPOINT_RESTORE.  Could
you be more explicit as to why you need namespaces turned on?

As it stands today, the 3.8 kernel will support UTS, IPC, PID, and NET
namespaces seemingly without too much issue.  However, USER_NS is still
experimental and requires that the kernel doesn't support XFS, NFS, CIFS,
NFSD, and GFS2 among others.  We can't enable USER_NS because of that,
and it's also why we didn't turn it on during the 3.8 merge window.

josh