Proposed F19 Feature: systemd/udev Predictable Network Interface Names

John Reiser jreiser at bitwagon.com
Wed Jan 23 21:08:19 UTC 2013

On 01/23/2013 12:26 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Also, I strongly question this line in the Feature page:
>
>   "Users generally won't see this, as interface names are not exposed in
>    high-level UIs."
>
> This is simply not true for many values of the word "user"

I agree with Matthew that ordinary users do see and use the interface names.
The most common usage on my network is "ifconfig -a" to answer the question,
"What is (are) my IP address(es) today?"  Propagation of changes to DNS
(multiple competing connections available) takes too long and is unreliable.

I further agree that the recent name changes due to biosdevname should be the
last for a very long time.  That is, anything which might replace biosdevname
must produce the same answers as biosdevname.