Proposed F19 Feature: systemd/udev Predictable Network Interface Names

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 22:33:06 UTC 2013

On 01/23/2013 09:08 PM, John Reiser wrote:
> On 01/23/2013 12:26 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> Also, I strongly question this line in the Feature page:
>>
>>    "Users generally won't see this, as interface names are not exposed in
>>     high-level UIs."
>>
>> This is simply not true for many values of the word "user"
> I agree with Matthew that ordinary users do see and use the interface names.
> The most common usage on my network is "ifconfig -a" to answer the question,
> "What is (are) my IP address(es) today?"  Propagation of changes to DNS
> (multiple competing connections available) takes too long and is unreliable.
>
> I further agree that the recent name changes due to biosdevname should be the
> last for a very long time.  That is, anything which might replace biosdevname
> must produce the same answers as biosdevname.

You do know that biosdevname only works for some hw right? You do
realise that this will bring a long history of failures to an end and we
finally have something that can work out in a reliable and predictable
manner right ?

Yes majority of desktop users wont notices this heck they dont even know
what ethX or emX is.

I for one have had enough of fighting, dealing with the previous mess
@dayjob and this actually fixes that and for those admins that want the
old ( broken  ) behaviour back  "ln -s /dev/null
/etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules" is all you need.

If people want to try this now on F18 they simply can checkout/copy that
udev rule /etc/udev/ directory. <mailto:mschmidt at redhat.com>

JBG