Proposed F19 Feature: Fedora Upgrade - using yum

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Jan 24 17:11:19 UTC 2013

On Wed, 23.01.13 22:17, Adam Williamson (awilliam at redhat.com) wrote:

> On Wed, 2013-01-23 at 19:47 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 22:47:18 +0000,
> >    "\"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson\"" <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >b)
> > >
> > >We QA have alot of QA community members testing this so this does NOT
> > >require any additional effort or cause additional LOAD on the QA
> > >community.
> >
> > Aren't they just testing an upgrade of the default install?
>
> Correct:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_upgrade_fedup_cli_previous_desktop is the only current upgrade test case.
>
> We could plausibly extend the range somewhat to cover common package
> loadouts (GNOME, KDE, minimal perhaps) and common configuration wrinkles
> (non-US keyboard layout, encryption, a couple of different partition
> schemes), for _one_ upgrade method. Anything beyond that would be a bit
> of a stretch, I think.

Wouldn't it make sense to test the "full install"? In contrast to other
distributions it should be possible to install all our RPMs at once
(modulo arch specific ones that is). If that thing upgrades properly,
then you have a pretty good chance it will work for most subsets too?

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.