drop inheritance at f19 branch point?

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Sun Jan 27 03:27:55 UTC 2013

On 01/25/2013 10:49 PM, Ben Boeckel wrote:
> Looking at this, how about a simple rule about what makes a fedpkg build
> cascade up: While the next higher branch has the same version, but older
> pre-dist release number, merge --ff-only and trigger a build if one is
> not created within an hour of the current build completing. With this, a
> bump in the form %{?dist}.1 wouldn't trigger a build (since this implies
> that it's a release-specific fix) and a build on fX won't trigger an
> fX+1 build if there's a version gap between them.
>
> Sending an email halfway between the end of the build and automation of
> intent would probably be useful. If the next higher branch is updated
> manually and no build appears, this could be interpreted as a "I know
> what I'm doing" indication and cancel the automation.
>
> Thoughts?

Doing more than one asks in certain situations sounds bad, but how about:

f<n>: fedpkg build --and-newer

Does:

fedpkg build
loop:
  fedpkg switch-branch f<n+1> (or master)
  git merge f<n>
  git push
  fedpkg build
  goto loop: unless at master

It could also take --nowait.  If there was an error at any point it
would abort (assuming git gives some non-zero return codes).

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion at cora.nwra.com