Proposed F19 Feature: Yum Groups as Objects

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jan 28 22:36:16 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-01-28 at 08:21 -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> This doesn't really seem like the optimal solution here. It seems to
> me that it might be a better solution that you note which "groups"
> were installed and then at 'yum group remove foo' you remove any
> packages in it that are not ALSO owned by other installed groups. That
> seems less prone to issues if you uninstall groups that have shared
> packages in anything other than reverse order of installation.

 groups can own N packages, installed packages can only be part of a
single installed group. Changing this is non-trivial. As Jan said we
could look at something like "repo-pkgs remove-or-sync" but for groups
(we'd need groups as objects first though, and my guess is that's it's
much less useful than the repo-pkgs command).

 I wrote something on the yum.wiki today which will hopefully explain
this and other questions:

http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/YumGroupsOverview