kworker is using up a lot of CPU

Eberhard Schruefer eschruefer at ca-musings.de
Wed Jan 30 09:51:45 UTC 2013

On Jan 29, 2013, at 20:59 UTC, Chris Murphy wrote:

> >/  I'm seeing kworker using up around 80% CPU time constantly and the laptop is running hot.
/>/
/> This is in cases when you expect the system to be idle? i.e. no disk access, no active processes running, or network activity? Or is there something going on, like a file copy, but you just don't expect kworker to be consuming 80%? If the latter, I have a similar case with two (U)EFI laptops; I haven't narrowed it down to network access or disk access. But if neither are occurring, then I do get idle and no kworker process CPU % is significant.

> Chris Murphy

The system is absolutely idle. As other people reported in between, issuing on this Samsung Laptop

echo disable > /sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe13

the high kworker load disappears. But I find it scary to do this without knowing what effect this has on the system.

Eberhard