Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jan 30 18:28:29 UTC 2013

On 01/30/2013 01:05 PM, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
>> Actually a lot of research and reason went into GNOME 3's development
>> [1],
> That's about as relevant as "a lot of coding went into $project",
> which is... not a whole lot when considering which project to make the
> default.

But every release is not a decision point, "which desktop will we make
default this time?" Certainly it is *not* a given or granted that any
given software project we have as an upstream has done *any* usability
or user experience research whatsoever, so in that aspect GNOME is
pretty rare.

>> and we picked it up because we are an upstream distro [2].
> GNOME isn't the only possible upstream.  We picked it up at that time
> implicitly because it was presented as an upgrade instead of basically
> a new project with a new direction.

I meant in the sense, 'do we stick with GNOME 2.x or move to 3.x" FWIW.

>> https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design#Research.2C_testing_and_validation
> To save others time... the "testing and validation" part has no
> results on the wiki that I can see.

That's a very fair point: I'd very much like to see data there as well.

~m