[rawhide] kernel-install and grubby and ... what's going on?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 1 17:57:42 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 01:21:16PM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> - kernel.spec now requires systemd > <some version that has
> kernel-install in it>

Which is fine, because it's not like we're gonna support older kernels or
running without systemd.

> - kernel.spec calls kernel-install instead of new-kernel-pkg (which is
> provided by grubby)
> - kernel-install in Fedora 19 and 20 is patched to call new-kernel-pkg
> under the covers for the bootloader config update portions
> - kernel-install calls dracut to create the initramfs (I think).
> - eventually grub2 will deal with the BootLoaderSpec stuff directly
> and kernel-install won't call new-kernel-pkg any longer.

So until that eventually, it looks like *something* needs to require
new-kernel-pkg so that doesn't get missed. It feels a little odd to put that
requires in the systemd package. Or should we just put the package in it in
@core?