More unhelpful update descriptions

Alex G. mr.nuke.me at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 04:35:58 UTC 2013

On 07/01/2013 01:25 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On 2013-07-01 1:28, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> Since this topic comes up every few months, and no one's pointed
>> out the obvious answer yet, I'll say it:
>>
>> * Instead of making up more rules, make the tooling better so
>> we don't have to repeat update descriptions in multiple places. *
>
> You appear to be missing the contention made by me and others that the
> update description is not and should not be a simple repetition of any
> other content. It is not the RPM changelog. It is not the git commit
> log. It is not the upstream changelog.

You can't change human nature: people may forget, people may be
uninspired at the moment, etc. Rather than correct(micromanage) the
behaviour of masses, it is much easier to accept the behaviour of masses.

People do not like to have to deal with RPM changelogs, Fedora SCM (git)
commit messages, update descriptions, etc, each with a different set of
rules. It is boring and error prone.

We shouldn't be surprised that update descriptions are crap. They are
just an annoyance for a lot of us, especially since we've put all that
information in a bunch of other places.

+2 to better tooling

Alex