F20 System Wide Change: ARM as primary Architecture

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Thu Jul 11 09:39:26 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 07/10/2013 06:14 PM, Björn Persson wrote:
> Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>> I was working on adding 2 more SOC's for packagers earlier this week.
>>
>> I wanted to see how much call there was for these... should I try and
>> make them accessable by all packagers? Or just have a group and
>> interested people could be added to that group?
>
> I for one would like to have access to some ARM systems for trying
> things out. At least one for each arch that's a candidate to become
> primary would be nice.
>
> Initially I want to see the results of some uname and RPM commands to
> make sure that I get things right in fedora-gnat-project-common.
>
> In the future I hope to be able to test my Ada packages on ARM, but
> that can't happen until somebody bootstraps GNAT on ARM. If I should
> happen to come across a bucket of round tuits I might even try to
> bootstrap GNAT myself, although I think it would be better done by
> someone who knows more about GCC and ARM than I do.

<warning shameless plug of personal project>

If you want some ARM hardware to play with, you can get some really
cheap Allwinner SOC based devices, most of them with a 1 Ghz cortex
A8, 1 GB or RAM and an sdcard slot (and usb, hdmi out and wifi).

Anything with an allwinner A10, A10s or A13 will work with the
Fedora A10 remix:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/AllwinerA10

And I'm working on adding A20 support (dual cortex a7 @ 1 Ghz) atm.

The most well known devices with an A10(s) are the mk802 hdmi
tv-sticks. Simply search ebay for mk802, buy now only, sort
price+shipping low -> high and at the end of the first page
you will find the first A10 devices. At this moment the cheapest
one is $35.23. Which is a pretty sweat deal for what in essence
is a complete computer with a 1Ghz cpu and 1 GB RAM.

Beware there are also mk802-iii devices which have a completely
different CPU. Always check the description mentions allwinner
and/or A10 or A10s.

Note the A10 SOC also has sata out, vga out, composite video out,
wired ethernet, etc. So if you do some more searching you can find
some very interesting devices. Note worthy are the cubieboard:
http://linux-sunxi.org/Cubieboard

And the olimex a10s-olinuxio-micro:
https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/A10S/A10S-OLinuXino-MICRO

The olimex design is fully open hardware with schematics and pcb
layout files available. The cubieboard also has schematics available.

Note the olimex uses the A10s and as such does not have sata.

Regards,

Hans