F20 System Wide Change: ARM as primary Architecture

Jiri Eischmann eischmann at redhat.com
Thu Jul 11 18:21:33 UTC 2013

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" píše v Čt 11. 07. 2013 v 09:17 +0000:

> > I'm afraid I can't agree. I like the simplicity of the model you're
> > proposing, but from a practical point of view, there is still a commonly
> > held perception that there is a 'product' called Fedora which is
> > basically composed of what you get if you go to get.fedoraproject.org,
> > download one of the things we push at you there, and install it.
> > Practically speaking, I believe we have to QA that 'thing called Fedora'
> > as a whole. I don't think your model quite matches what people perceive
> > Fedora to be.
>
> What's your definition of what people perceive Fedora to be?
>
> Regardless of peoples perception or what you think they are there
> still would be products however we QA would take care of the installer
> + base/core os bits and sub-communities that build upon that base/core
> OS like Gnome takes care of QA their own spins.
>
> Who better are to QA their own spin then the people that a) use it b)
> create it c) release it?

Have you ever reached to these sub-communities and asked them if they
are interested in something like this? Because I'm not sure whether
they're and forcing something like this upon them is not the best idea.
First I think keeping the QA know-how in one team actually has a lot of
benefits.
Second I don't think that the sub-communities or spins, if you will,
have enough manpower and expertize to run their own QA teams.
The current team of Fedora testers is rather small and dividing them
into several more teams would lead to a subcritical number of testers to
run a functional QA.
Third I don't agree with the opinion that people who create the software
are the best people to test it. Quite the opposite. Having a QA team
independent on spins is actually a very good idea. I have witnessed a
lot of situations where developers were too lazy/busy/... to fix serious
problems and it was pertinacity of our independent QA team that forced
them to fix the problems although it sometimes took an escalation to
FESCo. I highly doubt that spin's QA teams would develop into such
independent entities.

Jiri