F20 System Wide Change: ARM as primary Architecture

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 18:58:13 UTC 2013

On 07/11/2013 06:21 PM, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> Have you ever reached to these sub-communities and asked them if they
> are interested in something like this?

In relation to the desktop environments the community surrounding them
have been following the criteria and doing their testing by themselves
with the exception of Gnome of course which we in the QA community have
had to carry from the get go on top of everything else

> Because I'm not sure whether
> they're and forcing something like this upon them is not the best idea.

We never forced that upon anyone members from those communities ( with
the exception of Gnome ) stepped up walked in and wanted to do it.

> First I think keeping the QA know-how in one team actually has a lot of
> benefits.

In one community yes in one team no.

> Second I don't think that the sub-communities or spins, if you will,
> have enough manpower and expertize to run their own QA teams.

But you somehow think we in QA or releng for that matter do?

> The current team of Fedora testers is rather small and dividing them
> into several more teams would lead to a subcritical number of testers to
> run a functional QA.

Nobody was talking about diving into the existing reporters base in the
QA community.

> Third I don't agree with the opinion that people who create the software
> are the best people to test it.

People that *use* and create the software.

> Quite the opposite. Having a QA team
> independent on spins is actually a very good idea.

No it's not.

> I have witnessed a
> lot of situations where developers were too lazy/busy/... to fix serious
> problems and it was pertinacity of our independent QA team that forced
> them to fix the problems although it sometimes took an escalation to
> FESCo.

Really when?

>   I highly doubt that spin's QA teams would develop into such
> independent entities.

Those spins that do not have enough manpower die off which is to be
expected and part of healthy self cleansing process in the project
instead of things as they are now where releng needs to basically try to
carry them alive and working.

JBG