Packages MUST NOT place files or directories in the /bin, /sbin, /lib or /lib64 directories

Sérgio Basto sergio at serjux.com
Mon Jul 15 18:31:46 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Qui, 2013-07-11 at 15:30 +0200, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 3:05 PM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 12:48:56PM +0000, Petr Pisar wrote:
> >> I've just spotted usr-move has been completed.
> >> <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines?rd=Packaging/Guidelines#Filesystem_Layout>
> >> states:
> >>
> >> In addition, Fedora packages MUST NOT place files or directories in the
> >> /bin, /sbin, /lib or /lib64 directories. Instead, the /usr/bin,
> >> /usr/sbin, /usr/lib, and /usr/lib64 directories must be used.

> >> Should I file bug against bash, glibc, and other packages? Or should
> >> there be a list of exceptions?
> >
> > .. and no, we don't need a list of exceptions.
> >
> > Keep it consistent with upstream / common sense / distros that
> > didn't make the usrmove mistake.

I don't think was a mistake , IMO to be a mistake, I need a prove that
we need /bin and /usr/bin directories as independent directories and
have some binaries in one and others in other .

> While I agree with calling this a mistake, just ignoring rules that
> one doesn't like will not allow us to build even a barely consistent
> distribution.  Filing bugs would be quite appropriate.

> That said, I'd love Fedora to be significantly consistent in more
> important matters than paths in a spec file that have exactly zero
> effect on users in the best case[1].
>     Mirek
>
> [1] Note that just moving the files may not be good enough - the
> package may need to add an explicit Provides:/non-usr-path and keep it
> for an indefinite time.

IHMO , I think guideline overstate MUST NOT place files in /bin etc ,
this is applicable on scriptlets of the spec , but not in upstream code,
if upstream code use /bin, don't worry about that, because with /bin
symbol link to /usr/bin, all will be saved in /usr/bin .

My opinion .

--
Sérgio M. B.