F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 15 20:53:57 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 02:46:27PM -0600, Eric Smith wrote:
> I don't actually care whether there's a binary journal or not, but far
> more of us have real usecases for /var/log/messages, so we shouldn't
> give up that being available by default.

I just want to look at the file without having to learn to type journalctl
isn't very compelling to me, even though I do recognize the change cost.

However, the diagnostic value of an easily-accessible /var/log/messages is
pretty high and I think there are real use cases there. I'm not convinced
that this needs to be at the minimal level, though, and I'm not sure it
should be the default for the desktop case, either.

And, in other cases, you're probably customizing your package install set
anyway, right? (And, probably logging to a remote host.)