F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Chris Adams linux at cmadams.net
Mon Jul 15 23:39:59 UTC 2013

Once upon a time, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek at in.waw.pl> said:
> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 05:43:43PM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> > No, the "bug" is journalctl, not less.  If I run "journalctl | less", I
> > get wrapped lines.  If I run "journalctl", I get truncated lines
> > (despite your repeated claims to the contrary).
> [At least in default configuration] you can switch between "truncated"
> and "non-truncated" output by pressing -S<ENTER>, or view the "truncated"
> part by pressing right arrow. If you're seeing something different,
> then please file a bug (against less, because journalctl doesn't really
> do anything other than popen("less") here). For reference, try pressing
> 'h' in less, I see:

Actually, journalctl DOES do something other than popen("less"); it
overrides the user's $LESS and sets it to "FRSXMK" (the S option tells
less to chop lines).  So while technically journalctl is not chopping
lines, it is forcing less to do so.  A user's $LESS should not be
overridden, especially to chop log lines.

Another thing that I don't see in the man page is why some lines are
bold/in color.
--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>