F20 Self Contained Change: Plasma-nm

Lukáš Tinkl ltinkl at redhat.com
Tue Jul 16 15:03:23 UTC 2013

Dne 16.7.2013 16:55, Dan Williams napsal(a):
> On Tue, 2013-07-16 at 12:52 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
>> On Tue, 2013-07-16 at 13:25 +0200, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
>>> = Proposed Self Contained Change: Plasma-nm =
>>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Plasma-nm
>>>
>>> Change owner(s): Jan Grulich <jgrulich at redhat.com>, Lukáš Tinkl
>>> <ltinkl at redhat.com>
>>>
>>> Replace current network applet in KDE with a new one and bring the latest news
>>> in NetworkManager to KDE.
>>>
>>> == Detailed description ==
>>> Plasma-nm is a new plasma applet for network management in KDE which uses the
>>> latest KDE technologies. It supports all connection types from NetworkManager
>>> like bonding, bridging etc.
>>
>> ... and all types of VPN?

Yes, and even more than the older applet:
http://developer.kde.org/~lukas/screenshots/plasma-nm-vpn.png

> One thing we're going to be working on upstream is a more agnostic way
> for VPN plugins to present their configuration UI, since there are
> multiple things that need this information, including command-line
> programs.  I'm not sure yet how that will get presented, but likely in
> some form of UI description files that can be easily parsed by whatever
> UI you've got and the widgets reconstructed.  We've come to the point
> where it's increasingly hard to keep duplicating the UI logic every time
> updated UI happens.  This would ideally help the KDE folks too as they
> wouldn't have to write completely new VPN UI for each plugin.
>
> Dan

This would definitely be a very welcome addition; we already have a
similar mechanism for parsing the OpenConnect auth dialogs, having some
well-defined XML/JSON description would be a big bonus

--
Lukáš Tinkl <ltinkl at redhat.com>
Software Engineer - KDE desktop team, Brno