F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

John.Florian at dart.biz John.Florian at dart.biz
Tue Jul 16 20:10:33 UTC 2013

> From: h.reindl at thelounge.net
>
> Am 16.07.2013 21:45, schrieb John.Florian at dart.biz:
> >> From: h.reindl at thelounge.net
> >>
> >> i am *strictly* against all this truncate and autopaging and for
> >> me "GIT does the same" is no argument - a mistake is not better
> >> because others do the same.............
> >>
> >> if i want paging i do " | less" or " | more"
> >> *this* is the unix way of work
> >>
> >> but who am i...............
> >>
> > While I'm no more important than the next guy, I'll defend the
> auto-pager feature of both git and journalctl.  I
> > love it, in fact.  I'm no stranger to very long pipelines and sub-
> shells but I see nothing but benefit in not
> > having to add "| less" routinely to things that are UI in nature.
> These auto-pagers get out of the way immediately
> > if you need a pipeline, so what's the harm?  In fact, you can
> still "journalctl | less" or the like if you really
> > want to.
>
> you could also do
> alias journalctl="journalctl | less"
> to achive the same

Of course I could ... just as easily as you can set the systemd/git pager
env variables, or aliases to pipe thru cat.

> hence my konsole has scrollbars, i do not like autopaging and whatever
> is not pure unix

Now see, I'd argue *pure Unix* won't have scroll bars.  However, I do the
same for commands that don't have an auto-pager, but I find it mildly
annoying to have to reach for the mouse or wish that konsole had some
feature that my pager does.

One could argue that git is not pure cvs too, but they don't because it
brings a fresh take on an old problem.  The authors thought they had a
better approach.  Many agree.  Obviously some do not, but that's just a
fact of life.  I simply choose to adapt and enjoy the ride.

> in any case *truncate* outputs is a absolutely no-go

I'm not fond of the truncation method either, but I do appreciate knowing
that I'm not seeing the whole line, nor do I much care for wrapped lines
with semi-structured output.  So until my pager grows a throbbing
indicator per line to hint there's more I find it a reasonable approach.

--
John Florian