anaconda / initial-setup / gnome-initial-setup: can we do this better?

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Jul 16 23:52:44 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-07-15 at 22:26 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:

> Thanks. Delayed response... I've finally got everything else working
> nicely on Fedora 19 and I'm looking at this. I see firstboot is still
> available, but it doesn't seem to *work*.
>
> First it wants python-ethtool to be installed but didn't have the
> appropriate dependency, and then it's still using pygtk while my own
> code has been updated to pygobject and gtk3. (Which was done because
> some other code I was *importing* had been upgraded, so I couldn't mix
> the two. I don't think you get far with pygtk these days, do you?)
>
> So I'm guessing that it's probably not worth looking at firstboot any
> harder, and I should proceed straight to using initial-setup.

FWIW after working around bug 984932 by making my *own* package depend
on the packages that firstboot should have required for itself, and
after downgrading my UI code from Gtk3 to pygtk2 (which required that I
stop using pyanaconda.users), I now have a firstboot module that works.

I'd still like to convert it to initial-setup at some point, but it's
working for now.

--
dwmw2