F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 06:53:30 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 11:08 PM, Ding Yi Chen <dchen at redhat.com> wrote:

> Don't tell me that you have not seen people writing multiple platform
> scripts like this:
>
> case $OS)
>   Windows* )
>            some_windows_scripts
>   Linux* )
>            grep /var/log/messages
>

> For them: What? Fedora 20 does not work while Fedora 19 does? Blame Fedora
> then.
>
> And for fedora specific 3rd party scripts, now they need to add additional
> check logic on their script.
> Sometime that's just too much to ask.

How about this idea.  Before "No Defualt Syslog", systemd needs to
completely replicate all functionality provided by syslog, including
/var/log/messages, by default.  Syslog emulation would be an option, and if
people don't want it, they can still turn that option off.  But by default,
everyone can still grep /var/log/messages.